Updated: Oct 12, 2016

Drywall Lift Reviews:

For those that install drywall for a living, you know that owning a drywall lift or hoist is an essential tool. Getting drywall up to a ceiling is never easy and even the most experienced drywallers understand that balancing the sheetrock on their heads is not a safe way to go. Lifting and hoisting up ceiling or wall panels all day without the assistance of a drywall hoist will run you down. The great thing about a drywall lift is that one person can do the work of 2 or 3. For as little as $200 you can stay safe and get the work done much faster. The lifts are easy to manage and allow you to nail or screw the sheet into the ceiling joists while it is held solidly in place. Drywall hoists are perfect for higher ceilings (14 feet) and getting your oversized sheetrock pieces into elevated areas. In our research for this article we visited several home building construction sites to watch the men lift the sheetrock into place using the drywall lifts. We were able to ask questions and find out which brand was preferred over another.
drywall lifts




Choosing a Drywall Lift

What size lift do you need? About 80% of homes in the United States will be just fine with the standard 11 foot lift. In the remaining 20% of homes you will find higher ceilings which may require a 15 or 16 foot model to reach. Even if you plan on finishing a basement, the ceilings are typically 11 feet or shorter in those situations. You will want a drywall lift that can handle at least 150 lbs. These are considered contractor grade or professional quality. All welded, steel construction is a major plus for added strength. Stability and mobility are two features you'll want from your lift. A wheeled base allows for both - look for those with a wide foot print. For loading and unloading of the sheetrock, the lift should have a tilting cradle. If you run into sloped ceilings, the installation could be much easier with the tilt function. Some drywall lifts allow for extra extendability - up to 4 feet of additional reach in some cases. The arms should be totally adjustable so that they can manage panels that are 4' x 16'. Safety is a major concern, so being able to lock the wheels in place or secure the sheetrock piece adequately is a major benefit. Also, finding a drywall hoist that is simple to put together and use is what drywall contractors appreciate the most. Top brands include Troy, Pentagon Tools, Red Line, and Telpro. The Telpro drywall panel lifter is close to $700 and considered a top of the line product. You will find some off brands that sell 11' hoists for $65 to $80. For basic drywall jobs, these could function, but long term durability is always in questions. We suggest the mid-range ones like the Pentagon Tool "Lazy Lifter" Professional or the Red Line RLP9016. Both are about $200 and get above average comments from drywall contractors and professional installers. Browse the best selling drywall lifts here.

Best Drywall Lifts:

RECOMMENDED - The Pentagon Tool "Lazy Lifter" Professional 11Ft Drywall Lift Hoist is our favorite of the bunch. At just around $200 you will get a reliable lift that handles panels up to 4 x 16 feet in size. One person can maneuver the lift which makes for convenience and saves money on having to have two men on the job. We like the optional extension bar which extends the drywall lift to 15 feet high. Many times you run into vaulted ceilings and having this add-on is a huge time saver. The full tilting action is perfect for angled ceilings or walls. When we interviewed drywall installers, the one reason they choose Pentagon over the other brands - ease of assemble - we are talking less than 5 minutes and on tools are required. Want stability? - the locking outriggers allow for that. There is a 150 pound load capacity and it's made with top quality steel. The Red Line RLP9016 is the other one we would recommend. The single stage winch with brake is easy to use and the 5 inch casters allow for easy rolling. Check out the top rated drywall hoists here.