Coffee Maker Reviews:
Ahhh... the aroma and taste of fresh coffee makes the morning of many coffee-adicts. Nothing gets them going like a hot cup of coffee. On the road, Starbucks coffee or Dunkin Donuts coffee may hit the spot, but at home on a lazy Sunday morning, nothing beats a freshly ground cup of home-made coffee, with beans you grind manually and then create a cup of drip coffee. So if you are making coffee, you need a coffee maker. Shopping online for a coffee maker is a breeze, whether you are looking for a single cup of coffee brewer or a fancy espresso maker. Sites like Amazon carry all the top brands - Cuisinart, Black & Decker, Keurig, Bodum, Hamilton Beach, Bunn, Krups, Mr Coffee, and Braun. Prices range from $20 to $200+, so shop wisely and make the best choice.
- The first thing to consider is how much coffee you need to make - daily, for parties, events, etc. Many of us are a single cup a day drinker and so models like the Keurig B60 are the way to go for single cup brewing. If you like to entertain a lot then perhaps a 12 cup coffee maker like teh Cuisinart DCC-1200 is a better choice. You can get single, double, 4 cup, 8 cup, 10 cup, and 12 cup coffee makers. Some of the full sized coffee makers let you do smaller servings if you only need 2 or 4 cups - that's a nice feature to look for. Many are programmable so you can set the timer well in advance (say the night before) and have a fresh brewed cup of coffee waiting for you in the morning. Experts say the thermal carafe coffee makers are not good for timer use. However, the thermal carafe variety will keep your coffee fresher for a longer period of time when not on the hot plate. There are times when you just can't wait for the coffee to finish brewing before you need your first cup - look for the brands that offer a "pause and serve" function which allows you to stop the brewing process and get your cup. Auto shutoff is another feature most people prefer to have - that way you won't have to worry if you left the coffee maker on. Auto drip coffee makers are great but some owners say the coffee strength with these types is not strong enough for their tastes. They prefer the french presses and vacuum pots which let you make "stronger coffee". Where should you buy a coffee maker. To see a list of the best selling coffee makers online go here
Best 12-Cup Coffee Maker
- The Cuisinart DCC-1200 12-Cup Coffeemaker
is a top rated 12 cup coffee maker available in stores and online at Amazon.com. The DCC 1200 is a retro style coffee maker with stainless steel and black features. It will brew 12 cups of 5 oz/each. It has a 24 hour clock/timer, a brew pause feature, and it will shut off automatically if programmed to do so. Comes with a charcoal water filter, a decalcification indicator, and the warming plate is heat adjustable. If 12 cups of coffee is too much, consider the BUNN NHBX-B Contemporary 10-Cup Home Coffee Brewer
which is just as highly rated on consumer websites and in magazines like Consumer Reports. The Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer, at $90, can brew 10 cups of coffee in 3 minutes. It has an internal thermostat to keep the water at just the right temperature while making your coffee. Make sure you use real Bunn filters, otherwise the grounds may overflow (ordinary filters are not as deep).
Single Cup Coffee Makers
- Of course, you don't always want a full pot of coffee. If you are the only coffee drinker in the house, a single cup coffee maker is often a better choice. Check out the Keurig B60 Special Edition Gourmet Single-Cup Home-Brewing System
- one push button for a fresh cup of coffee or tea ($145). The 1500 watt system will make coffee, tea, or hot cocoa and it features a programmable backlit LCD display with digital clock and on/off timer. You get temperature control, a removable drip tray, and a single cup coffee maker with a great reputation. For a list of the most popular single cup coffee makers on Amazon go here
Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker
The top rated Newco OCS-8
is what many coffee enthusiasts recommend, but at $140 we say you can do better with other brands. BEST VALUE
- The top selling Zojirushi EC-BD15 Fresh Brew Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker
on Amazon will keep your coffee hot for hours. The 1.5 liter thermal carafe lets you sit the coffee on the counter and still get a warm cup even hours later. This automatic coffee brewer has 1025 watts, an electronic timer/clock, and an auto shut off function. Owners say it's easy to operate and the coffee is "great tasting".
Basic Coffee Maker:
Not everyone needs or wants to spend $100 on a coffee maker, so we have looked into the basic/budget models that still do the job. Many a expert on coffee will tell you it's not the coffee maker that makes great coffee, it's the coffee beans. If that statement is true, then the most basic coffee makers should do just fine if you have the best beans. Two popular models are the Black & Decker DCM2500B SmartBrew Coffeemaker
and the Mr. Coffee DRX5 4-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker
which retail for around $20. Reviews are more than positive on these models and they last. When I first met my wife (a devout coffee drinker), she had a Mr Coffee machine that must have been 10 years old and it was working just fine. Amazon carries the biggest variety of top selling budget coffee makers and thermal carafes