Updated: December 2017
Reviews: Best Sacramento HotelsSacramento is the capitol of California, but the city has always remained a lessor destination for business travelers in the great state of California. I have stayed in the city a few times on my drives from Portland down to Lake Tahoe and found most accommodations just fine. Although the Sterling Hotel comes up in search results, it's more of a unique hotel with emphasis on social events and weddings. Don't get me wrong, the hotel is in great spot and features nice rooms in a classic Victorian style building, but it's probably not for business travelers. The Embassy Suites Hotel Sacramento-Riverfront Promenade is probably my favorite spot in all the city just across the Sacramento River from the historic Old Town Sacramento. Embassy Suites offers complimentary airport transportation, a nightly Manager's Reception with drinks and snacks, and a free breakfast.
Downtown Sacramento is not that big, but if you don't want to walk to far to the convention center, then you could stay at the Clarion Hotel Mansion Inn which gets mixed reviews from Tripadvisor.com or at the Sterling Hotel (listed below). A little further away from the main downtown area is the Radisson Sacramento Hotel at 500 Leisure Lane. Another good accommodation is the Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel that was put into the Public Market Building at 1230 J Street. There are over 500 rooms in this massive hotel that Sheraton has done an excellent job with. The property is truly a gem in this region. Sacramento is loaded with city parks so be sure to check out State Capitol Park, Crocker Park, Roosevelt Park, and Old Sacramento State Historic Park. The Amtrak station can be found on 5th Street right after you cross I Street heading towards H St.
Downtown Sacramento Hotels:
- Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel - Certainly a top rated accommodation in Sacramento and worth considering. Beautiful rooms and rates start at about $140 night. King, double beds, and suites are available. Contact them at 1230 J Street, Sacramento, California 95814. Phone # 916-447-1700.
- Sterling Hotel - One hotel that comes to mind when someone says "downtown Sacramento lodging" is the beautiful Sterling Hotel Sacramento which offers 17 rooms and an incredible ballroom. Better for receptions and romantic weekends than anything else. Located at 1300 H Street, you can reach them via telephone at 800-365-7660.
- Governors Inn Hotel - In the heart of the state capital. 133 guest rooms and suites. Located at 210 Richards Boulevard Sacramento. Book reservations online or call 800-999-6689. Room rates start at less than $100/night.
- Embassy Suites Hotel Sacramento-Riverfront Promenade - A popular spot amongst business travelers with lots of freebies added on to the nightly rates $129/night and up depending on day of the week. Great location at 100 Capitol Mall. Call them at 916-326-5000.
- Hilton Garden Inn Sacramento/South Natomas - Decent lodging at 2540 Venture Oaks Way. The hotel will undergo a renovation from Jan. 2009 through March 2009. Offers a courtesy SMF shuttle so worth the nightly rate of $100.